.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Jim's Link-O-Rama

Pages of interest linked via Google Tool Bar Blog-It.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A friend's birthday

My fourth great connection with Columbus Day.
Barcelona, the port of return on the first voyage, was the home port of my ship in the mid fifties. The monument to the return was a block away from our usual docking. The building in which I set up shop as Senior Shore Patrol Officer was there before Columbus.
On my most memorable Columbus Day I viewed the ceremony at Union Station. The Knights of Columbus honor guard wore black & silver with white plumes and swords. An all African-American high school band played "Scotland the Brave". I was on my way to cause trouble at the Irish Times (named after the world class national newspaper) by standing up for the Welsh. Ain't America grand?
Moses's Anniversary. From my message: "I remember hearing that Andy Ott would have preferred chocolate cake. But the great wedding cake baker had more than one stratagem. I would have preferred a Krispy Kreme Donut cake and truck. But I was ignored."
To be young in hard times and in depressing places has its difficulties. But being young in good times and sanguine places can lead to being puffed up. Like me. Happy Day, and days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home